With Christmas around the corner, looking for breakfast fare can be daunting, especially when serving a large crowd. Check out Weelicious recipe for Strata (bread pudding).
This is a foolproof recipe for a delicious breakfast strata, which is essentially a savory bread pudding. It’s perfect for a family get together because I find that everyone loves it no matter what their age. To make this vegetarian, add veggie sausage!
How to Make Holiday Brunch for a Crowd: Christmas Breakfast Strata
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage (i used chicken apple sausage)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced (i like to use cremini or white)
- 2 teaspoonss salt, divided
- pepper to taste
- 1 loaf italian bread, ciabatta or baguette (crusty bread), cut into 1 inch cubes (about 8 cups of bread) *also a great way to use up day old bread
- 1 1/2 dozen large eggs (18)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- butter for baking the dish
- 1. Cook the sausage in a saute pan over medium heat for 3 minutes, breaking it into bite size pieces. Add the mushrooms, bell peppers, 1 tsp of salt and pepper. Continue to cook for 5 minutes. Let cool.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees for
- 3. In a bowl, beat the eggs, 1 tsp salt and milk. Add the cheese and stir to combine.
- 4. Butter the 13×9 inch baking dish and add the bread cubes and cooled sausage mixture. Toss to combine.
- 5. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and sausage, pressing the bread mixture down gently to soak up some of the egg mixture.
- 6. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- 7. Uncover the dish and continue to bake an additional 20 minutes.
- 8. Serve.