It’s hard–I get that. and Teach Mama gave us more ideas to help! Thanks:)
Parenting in general is a tough gig, but when your child dislikes something that you love?
Something that comes as naturally to you as walking or breathing? Something that has been a part of your life for as long as you can remember?
Something that you teach?
What do you do when your child really, truly, totally and completely hates reading?
What do you do when your little sweet ray of sunshine would rather lie in bed, staring at the ceiling, than reading a book before he sleeps?
What do you do when those hours upon hours spent snuggling with your tiny one, reading book after book after book after book, has turned–overnight–into a distant, far-off dream?
I don’t have all of the answers, by any means, but I understand this situation more than I ever thought–or hoped.
I get it in a way that I never imagined I would, being that my own son at this point would rather walk on fire than sit down, unprovoked, to read a book.
Here’s the skinny. . .
- What to do When Kids Hate Reading– 3 Tips for Parents: My Owen is still very young–7 years old–and only in first grade, so it’s not like we’ve been experiencing this for years on end.
- n fact, Owen’s only been reading now for about a year. But the race to read was so exciting!He loved it! He was challenged! He was engaged!I’m not sure what happened, but you better believe that I’m doing my best to get my boy interested and eager to read once again.Find out what 3 Tips I offer to other parents–and the tips that I’m practicing myself–over at PBS Parents:
- What to do When Your Child Hates Reading
Or check out some fab literacy-related boards on Pinterest:
- my literacy board on Pinterest;
- the Learn to Read board on Pinterest;
- the Melissa & Doug Storytime board on Pinterest;
- Primary Reading & Math board on Pinterest.
Or the following articles on Moms Homeroom:
- Parent-Proven Tricks to Get Kids Reading, by GreatSchools Staff on Moms Homeroom
- Anything But the Book:Helping Create Readers, by Martha Brockenbrough
- 10 Gifts that Encourage Reading, by Cara Pitterman
- Book Clubs for Kids, by GreatSchools Staff on Moms Homeroom
It’s a work in progress, and I’m learning as I go. Thanks for hanging in there with me!